This recipe for instant pot salisbury steak meatballs with garlic smashed potatoes smothered in mushroom gravy and a side of green beans is going to be a new family favorite because this tastes so darn good and the instant pot makes this a quick and easy meal to get on the table for your hungry family.
To be honest with you, I have not had salisbury steak since I was a kid. As soon as I saw a recipe on Pinterest I immediately had childhood flashbacks to the rare occasion my mom bought ready-made food and everyone fought over the salisbury steak TV dinner.
As much as I love to cook and try new recipes, I had never attempted to make salisbury steak before and I was completely blown away with the simplicity of the recipe and how it smelled exactly like I remembered it from my childhood. The ultimate comfort food in my book.
Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Meatballs with Mushroom Gravy
These instant pot salisbury steak meatballs can be made in the slow cooker (on low for 4-6 hours) if you remember to assemble it and get it going but if you are anything like me you remember when you are halfway to work and have to come up with a Plan B for dinner. Instant pot to the rescue.
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 cup Italian season bread crumbs
- 1/4 finely chopped mushrooms
- 1/4 milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp of onion powder
- 1/4 tsp liquid smoke or Worcestershire (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup of roughly chopped mushrooms (chunky is good)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 cans of beefy mushroom soup
- 1 1/2 cups of beef broth
- 2 packets of Au Jus seasoning
Garlic Smashed Potato Ingredients
- 3 pounds of red potatoes
- 1 cup of chicken broth or water
- 1 stick of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 cup of milk or heavy cream
Directions for meatballs and gravy
I chose to make this recipe with meatballs but you could make it with the traditional salisbury steak patties. I also like to use a scoop to keep my meatballs a uniform size so they all cook evenly.
- Set your instant pot to saute and add 1 TBSP of oil while you assemble your meatballs.
- Add all of the meatball ingredients to a bowl and mix well to evenly distribute and incorporate all of the ingredients.
- Using a scoop, form and roll 1.5 inch meatballs.
- Add a single layer of meatballs to the instant pot and brown on all sides. Remove from instant pot and drain some of the grease while you continue to brown the next batch of meatballs.
- After all of the meatballs are browned you can start the gravy by adding 1 tbsp of butter to the instant pot along with the onion and mushrooms. Saute until onions are translucent. Then add 2 cloves of garlic and saute for about 1 minute. (Don’t burn the garlic.)
- Once the mushrooms and onions are done, add 2 cans of beefy mushroom soup, 1 1/2 cups of beef broth, 2 packets of Au Jus seasoning and stir so everything is incorporated into the gravy. Then add the browned meatballs.
- Cover with the lid set to sealed, set to manual high pressure for 12 minutes.
- Natural pressure release for 10 minutes. Pour meatballs and gravy into a large bowl and set aside.
Directions for garlic smashed potatoes and green beans
While your meatballs are cooking start prepping your potatoes and green beans. This step requires a tall trivet and steamer basket so that you can cook the potatoes and beans at the same time. If you don’t have a trivet and steamer basket you can cook the green beans on the stove top.
- No need to peel your potatoes. Cut the red potatoes into quarters and add them to the instant pot.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth for added flavor but you could use water if you don’t have the broth.
- Place the tall trivet over the potatoes and add your steamer basket on top of the trivet.
- Add your green beans to the steamer basket. (Fresh or frozen will work.)
- Cover with the lid set to sealed, set to manual high pressure for 8 minutes.
- While your potatoes and beans are cooking start making your garlic milk mixture on the stove top.
- Melt 1 stick of butter, add 2 cloves of garlic and saute for about 30 seconds. (Don’t burn the garlic.)
- Add 1 cup of heavy cream (milk can be substituted) and simmer on low.
- When potatoes are done quick release the pressure and remove lid.
- Place green beans in a bowl and season how you like them. (I add butter and salt)
- Remove trivet, drain excess liquid and smash the potatoes right in the pot to break them up a bit but still chunky.
- Sprinkle potatoes with salt and pepper, add the milk mixture and smash the potatoes to incorporate the milk mixture.
I promise you, Instant Pot Salisbury Steak Meatballs will become a family favorite and your kitchen will be filled with the aroma of comfort food and childhood memories.
If you love this classic meal, check out my Dr. Pepper Pulled Pork made in the Instant Pot.